On 9 September 2019, the Head of the Mechanism presented the Mechanism’s first annual report to the Human Rights Council at its 42nd Session, as required under its mandate. The report sets out the strategy and key challenges of the Mechanism’s first stage of operations, and covers the following areas:
- Selection of cases for investigation
- Accountability for crimes of sexual violence
- Investigations in order to prepare files
- Sharing of information, documentation and evidence
- Sharing information, documentation and evidence for other purposes
- Public outreach
- Initial priorities of the Mechanism
- Practical steps taken for the operationalization and full functioning of the Mechanism
Video: Nicholas Koumjian presenting the first Annual Report to the HRC (UN WebTV)
On 5 August 2019, the annual report was also transmitted to the 74th session of the General Assembly (A/74/278) as required under its mandate.
In September 2020, the Head of the Mechanism presented the Mechanism’s second annual report to the Human Rights Council at its 45th session. The report discusses the significant process the Mechanism has made in its first year of operations. It focused on ramping up its operations and activities on various fronts, including its operational and administrative processes, its engagement with relevant entities and stakeholders, and the implementation of its substantive mandate.
The report was also transmitted to the 75th session of the General Assembly (A/75/197) on 26 August 2020.
The Mechanism will continue to submit annual reports to the Human Rights Council and the General Assembly.